I’m the first to admit that I’m easily inspired. You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one…
After attending the annual Cause Marketing Forum in Chicago last week, I headed back to Denver particularly inspired.
The collaboration between nonprofits and brands to promote social good and exchange of ideas had my head spinning. One of many examples includes Jeremy Heiman’s, presentation and a call-to-action for the audience to start “a movement, not a campaign” with this slide (tweeted by @mGive):
I love this because everything in the left column is the core of mGive’s beliefs. When we introduced text-to-donate in the US with 100% pass-through from our wireless carrier partners, we started a movement by changing the way people give. We believe that it’s not just about processing text donation transactions – it’s about acquiring and cultivating connected relationships. We believe that the effective use of mobile technology can be used to help nonprofits create a movement.
I will forever reflect on the inspiring stories, energizing conversations, and shared laughs at #CMF2014. To continue some of those conversations, here is a list of ideas for integrating mobile into your cause or corporate social responsibility program:
- Match Text Donations: Classic. A $10 text donation becomes $20, and text donors can then subscribe to receive future messaging from both the nonprofit and cause partner.
- Advanced: offer unique coupon codes or special entry into an event or microsite
- Give Something for Every New Mobile Subscriber or Mobile Poll: Incentivize your campaign! Acquire new relationships or collect mobile survey data from all audiences and have their participation be incentivized by one of your partners.
- Example: Text MGIVE to 80108* to join mGive in dispelling mobile myths. For every new member, hypothetically a friendly partner would donate time, money or resources to our clients <3
- Invest with an Underwriter: Mobile is a cultivation strategy. Find an underwriter to invest in your movement’s mobile future, so you can focus on building a highly engaged community. This community takes many actions, including text, talk, tweet, and email, all from their personal mobile device.
- Idea: Invite and then group your underwriter, board members, and other key stakeholders into a specific text message communication stream for special updates on progress or needs
- Venture into Custom Experiences: mGive offers turnkey solutions in addition to an API for developers to build on. A cause partner can build you a custom mobile solution using the mGive infrastructure and expertise.
- Advanced: build a custom, interactive experience to encourage event audience participation
- Engage with Joint Messaging: Use mobile to drive conversations and activity in social media, microsites, email and more.
- Example: offer exclusive access to Google Hangouts with celebrity or cause partners
Sophia Bush spoke at MCON13, and her words often ring through my mind when she was addressing the audience near the end: “You’re not a non-profit. You’re a for-purpose.” Let’s build a series of mobile campaigns together and create a movement.
Let us know your thoughts, ideas, or share things that inspire you and join the conversation on Google+