Did you miss our How Mobile Can Boost Your Nonprofit on #GivingTuesday webinar yesterday? Here’s a quick recap.
With a little under 30 days left and 4,000+ partners we are looking forward to an even bigger give back this year. #GivingTuesday is taking over our mSpirations and we will be sharing stories, tips and ideas each week leading up to December 3rd, this year’s #GivingTuesday.
Why #GivingTuesday? #GivingTuesday is an event that can be leveraged to integrate social media, end-of-year giving, earned media and donor engagement.
- mGive saw a 998% increase in text donations on #GivingTuesday in 2012
- Blackbaud processed more than $10 million in online donations - a 53% increase over 2011.
- #GivingTuesday generated 2.5 million social media impressions and 59 million local and nation media impressions in 2012.
When you truly understand mobile you can see the power of E3.
- Engage: 97% of sent text messages are read. 87% are read within 15 minutes.
- Enlist: Donor retention can top 90% - more than double the 2011 industry median retention rate of 41%.
- Enable: No other medium comes close to enabling donors to activate cross-channel like mobile, into Email, the internet and social media.
There are so many myths floating around out there about mobile. Don’t fall for them!
How do you mGive on #GivingTuesday?
- Myth: Only Millennials use mobile
- Fact: Baby boomers are the largest demographic group using text-to-donate. U.S. Senior (age 65+) mobile phone penetration is projected to reach 72% in 2014.
- Myth: Mobile is a silver bullet.
- Fact: Thinking that mobile alone will get you to your fundraising goals is like saying that email is the only way to communicate with your supporters. It takes an integrated, cross-channel approach to use mobile effectively.
- Myth: Mobile is complicated.
- Fact: Mobile is built on the 4 core principles of engagement and fundraising. Identify, cultivate, research and solicit.
For the complete list of the common mobile myths floating around today, check out our three part blog series here.
How do you mGive on #GivingTuesday?
- M – Mobilize all department, partners, and promotional entry points.
- G – Give a Reason to Give. Activate individual donors on #GivingTuesday.
- I – Integrate and Collaborate. Increase engagement and fundraising during #GivingTuesday.
- V – Venture for Value. Continue to increase engagement and fundraising during #GivingTuesday.
- E – Enhance with Effective Engagement. Maximize ROI for #GivingTuesday campaigns.
Social media is increasingly driving awareness of text giving campaigns. It is the second most likely way text donors learn of campaigns, according to our 2013 mGive Text Donation Study.
- Use compelling images on social media that include your mobile call-to-action (with the required compliance language).
- Use hastags thoughtfully and wisely. Consider #GivingTuesday and #Unselfie. Repeat your calls-to-action and ask others to retweet.
- Use Facebook and Instagram to tell your story visually. Include links to your website or other company social media pages.
Bonus! Don’t forget your disclaimer language. Carriers require transparency so disclaimers, terms and conditions must be part of every call-to-action! Think about it: would you donate to just a random keyword and shortcode? Having that compliance language proves that text donations are a safe way to get involved in the #GivingTuesday movement.
If you missed the webinar, click here for the recorded webinar.
To become a, visit the #GivingTuesday website.
If you are interested in using #GivingTuesday to kick-start you mobile program visit mGive to pre-register for the one-day free mobile infrastructure.