Imagine if you could attract donors who not only donated to your nonprofit, but got their friends and family to donate as well.
This might be something that might (or might not) sound good in theory, but how can nonprofit leaders put this into practice?
Whether you're a nonprofit or for-profit business, this timeless formula is the foundation for any desired result:
Thoughts + Beliefs + Actions = Results
You may already be embracing the key elements of donor-centric fundraising, but in an age where technologies are evolving quickly, we need to go beyond thanking donors promptly, making warm calls, and cultivating relationships.Gain a Deeper Understanding of Your Donors
The mGive Foundation's 2014 mGive Text Donation Study uncovers the demographics and preferences of today's donors. Some of the key findings include:
- Text donors are likely to be 49 to 59 years old, female, married and a college graduate.
- 17% of text donors give more than $1000 each year.
- 65% of respondents say that they are more likely to give when a company or brand they know asks them to donate.
You can also study the behaviors, characteristics, and demographics of your own donors to create donor personas. This is the foundation of your digital strategy which allows you to segment and communicate to each profile through your website, blog, and email marketing.
Deliver a Quality Experience
Experiences shape beliefs. When you consistently provide a great experience at every touch-point, you shape the beliefs that they are truly making a difference. Here are a few ways to do this:
- Personalization - Most email platforms these days allow you to insert first names in subject lines and body.
- Give Them the Choice - Instead of having your donors enter their credit card information or receiving 4 phone calls upon making a pledge, let them choose how they want to fulfill their mobile pledge. To see what we mean, text PLEDGE to 27722. *msg&data rates may apply
- Make it Easy to Give - Since giving is an impulse decision, text donations are by far the easiest way to give.
Providing a quality experience has to start early in the donor's journey. Their online experience should make them feel that you understand their needs and deliver on your promises.
Empower Them to Tell Your Story
Nonprofits can learn a lot from brands when it comes to delighting customers and creating life-long advocates. Empowering your donors tell your story is a powerful way to earn the trust of their personal networks. In an age where mobile devices and social media are a part of our daily lives, nonprofits can capitalize on the potential to create reach like never before.
Adopting a donor-centric approach to fundraising doesn't happen overnight. It requires that nonprofits build the capacity and capabilities needed to turn donors into advocates. Let's reshape our beliefs and think beyond donor lifetime value and retaining donors. Let's take actions that shape beliefs and delights donors. The results will speak for themselves.
Do you have questions, comments, or experiences you'd like to share? Join the conversation on Google+.